PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2024, 13:35
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
Thanks for the updates Geriaviator and IBB. You live and you learn! Recalling the inadequacy of the Hastings aerofoil de-icing system (fluid pumped from a tank to distributors on the leading edges of wings, tailplanes, and fin) as it was totally ignored by the ice as we battled north in cloud up the Rhone valley against the Mistral wind, I imagined that it was simply inherited, like so many of the systems and components of the Hastings, from the Halifax. I now discover it was 'state of the art' it seems! The props had 'slingers' to feed fluid along the blades but what affect that had you were never quite sure as centrifugal force alone seemed to fling off the ice, resulting in it being hurled against the fuselage sides to the great alarm of crew and pax alike. Thoughtful of them to provide for windscreen anti-icing in WWII so that you could at least look ahead as you were forced ever downwards as a/c AUW inexorably increased as the lift decreased!

As you say, Geriaviator, a wonder that not more mention is made of it. A known known, I guess. Don't fly into CBs, avoid icing conditions, end of? It must have affected planning missions. If the met man warned of icing conditions on the planned routeing. Did they go anyway, reroute, or postpone for another night? And of course, met forecasts for flights over enemy territory had its own challenges.

Last edited by Chugalug2; 7th Feb 2024 at 15:21.