PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Happy Australia Day To All.
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2004, 07:05
DirtyPierre

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get a life guys!

I'm posting this the day after Australia Day. What are the rest of you doing posting when you're meant to have the day off.

Yes I did work on Oz Day, but finished at 0600 (local) and had the rest of the day off.

By the way just some facts;

1. We entered the war in Iraq because we were supporting our ally, USA, who said that there were WMDs. None have been found to this day, while more US troops have died during occupation after the war than during it.

2. Less than 10% of illegal immigrants to Australia come by boat. Over 90% enter the country by air and overstay their visa. Very few of these people are detained, yet all have in some way queue jumped, and nearly all work in Australia illegally.

3. The aborginal problem is a complex issue that is derided by comments such as "drinking themselves to oblivion". Alcoholism within Aboriginal communities is a symptom of a greater malaise. Alcoholism in these communities is often aided and abeted by us whites, exacebating the problems. Aboriginal communities are slowly improving, but the attitudes of both Capn Bloggs and OhBehave do not help in anyway.

4. Certain decisions made by the current government in relation to our defence are interesting. Announced the planned early retirement of the F111 without a suitable replacement available for over 10years. Planned investment in a Star Wars type missile defence program when we have no known enemies with long range missle capabilities of threat to Australia. There are more such as ADATS, our new leaking subs, C130J, and on and on.

But I am proud to Australian. Our unique culture and life style is the envy of many other nations. What I am not proud of is the derogatory post by Air Ace. Sure he might be joking, but it sure is a very sad poor excuse for humour.

By the way the animals on the coat of arms of UK are the lion and the unicorn. Neither exist in the UK, either extinct centuries ago in that country or mythical. At least ours still exist in large numbers.

Hope your Australia Day was as good as mine.

Catchyalater.