PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US Age 67
Thread: US Age 67
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2024, 21:33
VariablePitchP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dnx
I'm close to "mandatory retirement". Just a few months to go.
I'm in good health. Both mentally and physically.
I'm sure I would be able to crew an aircraft or airliner as well for the next two years as I've been doing for the past 45.
However, there is no way I would even consider continuing past my 65th even if the law changed tomorrow to allow me to continue till 67.
I do feel the impact of time-differences, jet-lag and long intercontinental flights a bit more severe than only a few years ago.
I know very few colleagues of my generation who would like to go on for 2 or more years.
BUT - having said that - here in the EU the legal retirement age has been increased steadily over the past decade so that as such I will not receive pension until the age of 67 years and 3 months (my particular case). However, EASA and International law forbid me to practice my profession in a few months.
THIS is not fair. Nobody - Unions or members of parlement ever considered this gap in income that pilots will have to endure.
The counter argument would be that you can just get a job as a not-pilot in that two year gap. Should you have to? Debatable. But you can definitely still work.