PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737 pitch attitude on final
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2004, 06:36
john_tullamarine

Received 106 Likes on 69 Posts
T.O.

The aim is to have a reasonable frequency of task alternation without wasting time so that the student gets lots of rest throughout the session but maximum productivity.

One pilot does one to several exercises and then the other pilot does the repeat thing. Just a matter of taking the full half session program and shuffling the card deck to make two half sessions into one full session covering the entire program

(a) Capt/FO scenario. Straightforward

(b) Capt/Capt or FO/FO. Seat swapping is too time wasting. Although it is heresy in many quarters, I have found, so far without exception, that pilots rapidly adjust to flying from either seat. Seats are swapped for each separate sim session.

A sideline benefit is that both pilots learn and know the systems scans for both seats which provides gains in the PNF support role. If you go down this path, it is essential that both pilots are required to learn all the normal scans and checklists prior to the first session.

Prior to the sim program proper, I run several (or more, if required) additional classroom cardboard bomber sessions in front of the photographic instrument etc. panels where we run through all the checks and scans repetitively until both pilots have all the important sequences committed to memory and are comfortable with the relevant actions from memory .. I am a do-by-scan and then read the checklist ... rather than a read-and-do man when it comes to normal checklist items. There is a significant benefit in using the cardboard bomber with abnormals/emergency drills as well .. not to commit the drills to memory, but to ensure that the sequences and logic aspects are well understood before the sim sessions.

After all, the box is expensive ... a bit silly to waste box time learning things which can be learnt outside the box.

This all presumes that

(a) the students WANT to learn .. there are some occasions where one gets students who have no interest in learning ... that presents a whole different set of problems ....

(b) the particular airline one is working for permits such an approach to training. I can only use this sort of approach if I am given the flexibility to do so.

... and, as I suggested, I make no apologies for working the students hard ... the endorsement is a dollar expensive exercise and we want to claw the maximum benefit practicable from the box time.

I shall be interested to see what level of rebuttal my heretical views on life might bring ....

Last edited by john_tullamarine; 27th Jan 2004 at 06:49.