PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - COLD WAR VETERANS
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2024, 13:37
Ninthace

Received 1,012 Likes on 602 Posts
Originally Posted by Widger
An interesting discussion and it is good to see that it has evolved into a more mature discussion that those first few posts, with individuals decrying the efforts of others.

Not everyone sat on an aerodrome in Germany, drinking pilsner. Many others spent months away from families, often in horrendous weather, hunting submarines (big up the MPA force), protecting the nuclear deterrent, trying to shake off Russian AGIs, flying, like Mog at sea, at night, without a diversion and sat in ships getting buzzed by Russian MPAs. Submariners, who closed the hatch in Scotland and opened it again, 3 months later in Scotland. Yes we got paid and fed (until pay as you starve) and many of us benefit from a good pension but, I do feel that the sacrifices of that generation should be recognised. When I joined, most only had 1 medal and that was if they had been down south in 1982. Well deserved. There were the odd DSOs etc, mostly submariners. Before Afghanistan, there were a few Admirals and senior officers with no medals despite their service of merit.

I spent 25 years in, was sat in the Gulf in 1992 whilst Saddam was still kicking off , worked supporting Deny Flight (Bosnia) helping to prevent genocide, took part in supporting our allies in the South China Sea, undertook anti drug patrols and lots of other stuff and all I have to show for it was a Golden Jubilee Medal (for which I am grateful) but which was such a low bar for award. If those who had never stepped in harms way but just served for 5 years could get a Jubilee medal (including various flavours since) or sit in Cyprus during GWI/II , why not recognition for those who helped keep Europe safe, a story that is only just being told. You only have to look and see what is happening in Ukraine to realise the threat that was kept at bay by our combined strength. I for one have signed the petition, 20 years to qualify I suggest.
So let's go with it. What are the selection criteria going to be?
Service personnel only?
What about all the civilians on units without whom we could not have functioned?
What about the ROC?
What about the UKWMO?
How long do you have to have served?
Where?
Doing what?

I'll stop there. Answer those first.