PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - COLD WAR VETERANS
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2024, 08:11
1.3VStall

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Newt,

I agree with you. How many posters, who are anti the idea of a Cold War medal, have Jubilee and/or Coronation medals? These, unlike operational/bravery awards, are simply awarded to recognise service - which is what a Cold War medal would do. Which, incidentally, the LS&GC medal does and which officers now receive: (not in my day).

In any event, the criteria to award gongs are risible. In his 40s, my father became a Special Constable - not because he wanted to serve, but because he wanted to join the Police Male Voice Choir! In ten years he was called out twice: once to a Test Match and once to keep back children, while a beekeeper dealt with a bee swarm. After ten years he was awarded a medal - for 8 hours of service and much singing! He was most amused to add it to the row of WWII medals that he earned as an RAF pilot.

Like you, Newt, I simply have a veterans' badge to show for 28 years of service. (There were two wars during my time: Falklands and GW1; I was serving as a Whitehall Warrior for both).

So, I have signed the petition; a Cold War medal would be something I could give to my lads to show them that I did something useful for a large part of my working life. Oh, and like Beags, I feel that the award of Silver Jubilee medals was an absolute farce - it was a ballot on my station!
The following users liked this post: