PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - COLD WAR VETERANS
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2024, 21:22
newt

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
I would like to thank all contributors to this thread. The inputs are interesting to a man in his mid seventies who spent nearly 22 years defending this nation so they can have their opinions. When I stand at the local Remembrance Sunday event, I find it very difficult to be able to represent the time spent because apart from a veterans badge, who would know? Medals are not always marks of bravery or death. They are marks of representation. A commitment to serve your country. I lost several very close friends during my service. We all accepted the risks. Minutes to get airborne from QRA to chase unidentified targets in lousy weather. Sometimes with no ideal diversion. Then there were hours spent on single seat nuclear QRA, with fifteen minutes to depart and find your way to a target in East Germany to destroy up to half a million people when your family was vaporised on your home base!! If you survived the journey! Yes we had duty free booze and a great social life but how many destroyed their home life. How many families decided enough was enough! Clearly this has become a divisive topic but I believe there is a need for recognition. If you don’t want to sign the petition, then please just ignore it. Don’t offend the guys who did their bit so you can order takeaways and criticise a world they have never experienced!

Last edited by newt; 5th Feb 2024 at 21:36.
The following 9 users liked this post by newt: