PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing at X-Roads?
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2024, 19:21
WillowRun 6-3

Location: Within AM radio broadcast range of downtown Chicago
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The engineering and physics discussion going on about propulsion systems and potential systems . . . . don't you think we should wait for the report? (okay, not really funny enough, but anyway....)

To right the Boeing ship something like "magic" evidently is going to be required. If for no other reason, the confidence of the traveling public, and all the commercial activities which depend on air transport, requires - or at least strongly recommends - that calls and initiatives for vengeance against Boeing go unheeded. Turning out the rascal Directors and Execs, fine. But burning down the company in order to save the air transport system which has significant dependencies upon the company in order to save that system, won't solve anything.

A source of beneficial redirection might be found in the aviator community. I mean, the community writ large. Besides IFALPA, there are other major labor-organization types of pilot groups worldwide, are there not? Give them some Board seats without a lot of process to get there. FAA - as has been repeatedly, many times, noted, has never received the levels of funding to do all that has been asked of it, especially after its mandate was changed. We know the bonus-seeking Execs and their cadres of running dogs of Bean Counting cannot be looked upon for solvency initiatives. Who then? Well, who has the most learned and dedicated focus upon getting safe aircraft built properly and with all safety built in rather than randomized, if not the aviator community? As Starbuck said to Steelkilt (though in a mutinous situation), "Look to yourself!". Actually, a mutinous attitude might be a decent substitute service for vengeance.

And speaking of understanding that hot motive, i.e., vengeance, how about some Mitsubishi Heavy with your hand-flying skills? They were pretty good at stick-and-rudder in the Second WW, were they not? And you want by the book, first time, next time, every time? - I dunno, maybe I just enjoyed the 777-300ER rides Chicago O'Hare-Tokyo Narita, Narita-NYC JFK too well, little while back.

As for strategy, let the engineering community in the Western world get itself organized and empanel some grouping at the level of IFALPA. Board seats of course.

FInally, and here I know I've gone to the edge of the proverbial deep end.... someone has got to channel Winpisinger. Because he was Aggressive, Radical, Blunt, Outspoken, and Flamboyant. Due respect to those noted above, still somebody's got to kick some.