PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Not getting enough flight training in flight school
Old 5th Feb 2024, 17:14
Uplinker

Received 124 Likes on 79 Posts
Oh my goodness. You have sold your house and used up all your savings - what were you thinking ?

But anyway; basically, what Genghis said.

But before getting solicitors involved, you both need to read the contract, then meet with the Chief Pilot and/or CEO of the company ASAP. You need a proper sit-down meeting and get them to look at your daughter's log books, and calmly ask why she is not getting enough flying, and leave them in no doubt that you expect some significant and positive action.

2-3 flights per month ?? Ludicrous. The weather can be bad but it is never that bad.

But, equally; she will not achieve anything by sitting in her digs and writing emails. Emails are very easily missed in the hundreds they receive. She needs to get up every day, put on the uniform and go into Ops. early - well before the flying has started. She needs to look at the day's weather and the NOTAMS to see what is happening, and also to make sure her name is on the flight board. She needs to talk to the instructors, ask for rides in the back of other students' flights, and make sure she is a cheerful and constant presence. I remember the female students at my flight school, and the instructors were falling over themselves to fly with them. Sexist perhaps, but true.

To be a pilot you need to have the ability to make things happen. If you are down-route and the fueler has not turned up or the bags have not arrived, and you have 20 mins before you lose your slot or go out of hours; you need to be able to motivate people and get some action.

If she is not going in every day, her face is being forgotten, and nobody is thinking about her.

Yes, the flight school should be across all this, but often they are not - I clearly remember having to go to the Chief Pilot's office at a prestigious UK Flight School to politely ask for my epaulettes a week after passing a significant flight exam; (I naively thought they would come to me and there would be some sort of mini presentation or at least a handshake) "Oh....erm.......yes, of course........... here you are" he said, opening a drawer...........

Last edited by Uplinker; 7th Feb 2024 at 23:03.