PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cardiff-3
Thread: Cardiff-3
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2024, 16:36
Sean North

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pug
Im not sure what you mean, my point was that airlines aren’t particularly interested in serving CWL in any big way, mainly because they’re happy to consolidate their operations at BRS. So they shouldn’t be mindlessly pumping money into something that’s unlikely to be a success. By all means support the activity that’s already there, double down on KLM etc and the bucket and spade flights that do exist, but it’s not going to ever be a large airport for the reason I already outlined.
My point is Cardiff shouldn't focus specifically on a niche and be satisfied with that.

By no means should Cardiff try to become the next Bristol or Heathrow but there is room for over 2m annual passengers. The leakage - one thing that is seldomly mentioned in the obsessive propensity to fly debate - is over 2.5 passengers from South Wales. 2m passengers from Bristol start in South Wales and in 2010 there were 500k passengers using London airports for popular short haul routes. I certainly believe with the support and drive, 2m annual passengers is not far-fetched.

On top of that 2m passengers, there is room for expanded engineering facilities. BA is there but even BA is cutting back aircraft serviced there. More Welsh Govt support for aerospace engineering in Wales would be helpful. Cargo and other industries centred around the airport can also be expanded, for example, an aircraft paining operation could be set up

With a bigger aviation industry will come higher paying jobs... and more jobs overall. That is obviously a good thing.