PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing at X-Roads?
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2024, 16:31
petit plateau

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by fdr
Petite P;

My text Is agnostic to the manner that torque is applied to the propeller, rotor or fan blade. The engine is either purely a source of tprque to spin a shaft that does something to generate a force and hopefully achieve some work output. Electric, hydrogen, SAF, Jet A, or white spirits, it doesn't matter.

While I am pushing ahead with the STC for props and the turbo fans that I have funding or JV's to cover, and that is a major effect on CO2 and NOx, I am not a proponent of electric propulsion for aircraft use at present. The fundamental problems of a plug in electric motor is the risk in accidents; they have a significant fire risk that appears to be difficult to mitigate. Hope that Toyota gets somewhere with their onboard electrolysis processing, but not certain the enegy balance works, unless they have some seriously magic ceramic catalyst tech in the background. In the absence of that, it seems that using renewable electric harvesting to generate hydrogen in a distributed network would allow a move towards FT, CO added ethanol, which may avoid having to disinvite a number of the citizenry from eating and living on this fair planet.

The rate of CO2 addition is an issue, as is NOx, particularly where we inject it into the atmosphere. Cycling CO2 within a loop process to give a high energy density fuel still seems to make sense IMHO.

boring stuff
Spoiler

fdr,

Thank you for a helpful answer.

It is good to know that your widgetry is applicable to any torque consumer. Knowing that, my suspicion is that industry will be even more motivated to sweat the existing airframe designs for longer, maybe even the existing actual in-service airframes. That in turn suggests that other airframers may be slightly more reluctant to gatecrash the Boeing-Airbus duopoly in the next 10-years.

I am not sure I agree with you on the electric propulsion front given the timelines of interest, but we will see and I am very unlikely to be involved in making the decisions. With regard to your thoughts on hydrogen (via various carriers) may I politely disagree for all timeframes at any serious volume in civil use at economic prices, and again we will see.

Good luck with your widgetry.

regards, pp