PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ASIC processing time?
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2024, 00:55
PiperCameron

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Clare Prop
On the back of your ASIC is the Issuing Body and the address to return the card to on expiry. Not a "sponsor" which is a completely different thing and not applicable to ASICs at all. I think you are confusing this with working visas, where a sponsor takes responsibility if the visa holder breaches their visa conditions or commits a crime. I know this as I have been a sponsor for 420 visas. There is no regulatory requirement for anything to be printed on the back of the card..
CP, perhaps there's no regulatory requirement for it, but the words "Original Sponsor", followed by the name of the company we work for, certainly appear on the back of all of ours underneath the name and address of the Issuing Body. I believe the on-airport Approvers are also referred to as "sponsors". I believe the same would be true of ASICs issued to pilots by eg. Qantas, since they're not an Issuing Body. YMMV.

The company name used to appear on the front of the ASIC, but apparently that confused too many poor, overworked, security people so they're all plain-jane now.

Originally Posted by Clare Prop
Ground staff only get an ASIC for the airport they are working at, they don't need an AUS one. It is possible to have more than one ASIC if they do work at more than one airport. (The same background check applies)
None of that is true. Many ground staff work at multiple airports Australia-wide and all (that I know of, including myself) can and are issued with AUS ASICs. As far as I am aware, it is no longer possible to obtain multiple local ones - if for no other reason that the cost and paperwork would be seriously prohibitive!

As for the rest, we do agree.