PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ASIC processing time?
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2024, 23:50
PiperCameron

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Clare Prop
I'm not familiar with the word "sponsor" being in the act so a link would be helpful.
Apologies, CP - that was just me trying to find the appropriate word for it without spending hours looking it up.

Since the powers that be aren't just going to take someone's word for it that they need an ASIC, someone (an Australia-registered company) somewhere has to support your application. The requirements are even greater if (eg. as a Pilot) you need an AUS (Australia-wide) ASIC. That's who I was referring to. If you look on the back of your ASIC, you'll see who your "sponsor company" is. You don't get an ASIC without their backing and they are held directly responsible under the Act if you don't use it properly and/or return it when asked to.

But wait, it get's worse: If you look at the list of commercial issuing bodies posted up-thread, you'll see the vast majority are Airport Security at a local airport. These exist to, among other things, issue baggage handlers, ground staff, etc. with a local (non-AUS) ASIC or VIC. If not directly employed on-airport (eg. outside contractors), these folks need not only an Approval from their boss via the ASIC Online system, but supporting approval from the on-airport company they contract to. To get an AUS ASIC they also need a supporting letter from another airport or on airport operator in another state - that's up to three different Approvals just to get airside!!! Bureaucracy to the max...

As pilots we don't need to jump through that many hoops - yet. But we will - just wait.