PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Danger of JFK ramp and ground ops
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2024, 19:39
punkalouver

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Check Airman
The arrival gate is typically known prior to landing, and the PM will contact the ramp at a low workload point during the taxi.
When I was flying there, Terminal 1 ramp would not tell you the entrance(two of them) until after landing. That meant coordinating between them and ATC during ground ops. Typical procedure was to land on 22L with tower telling you to hold short 22R. During that time, someone contacts ramp and gets the entrance with gate confirmation(one might have a significant time window before crossing the runway). Then cross 22R and contact ground who is given the entrance(saves chatter as then they don't have to ask). I would always remain in contact with ground until actually entering the ramp. Sometimes, ramp want you to hold short due to traffic). Therefore, if it looks like you may be stopped on the taxiway for a while, you can let ground know(but I only try to do let them know during a decent break in ATC chatter, which may not happen, as usually[but not always] it is of little concern to them).

On departure, you always contact ground while still on the ramp. Most pilots know that, but a situation can happen where you will actually be pushed back onto the taxiway(or partially so). You want to contact ground before this happens for a clearance to do so.