PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing 707 - 3 Engines Lost - 116 Passengers Saved
Old 4th Feb 2024, 15:18
TruBlu351

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rog747
Interesting read - You mention the RJ163 B707 was owned by a conglomerate but was contracted to Alia to fly their routes.
Alia Royal Jordanian Airlines was later renamed to Royal Jordanian Airlines.

Alia did, from 1975 until 1980 have a 'Charter' division called Jordanian World Airways, which was a subsidiary of Alia flying passenger and cargo flights.
They had 2 ex Pan Am 707C's painted in Alia colours, but had JWA titles.
JY-AEE and JY-AED named The City of Al-Karameh.

I wonder if RJ163 was JY-AED >?

In August 1975 JY-AEE was chartered by Alia to Royal Air Maroc, and was destroyed when it crashed near Agadir, Morocco.
All 188 passengers and crew were killed.
The aircraft, operated by Alia Royal Jordanian Airlines' charter subsidiary Jordanian World Airways, carried out the charter flight from Paris-Le Bourget Airport (LBG), France to Agadir on behalf of Royal Air Maroc.
Alia also lost a 707C JY-ADO in 1973 at Kano when it crashed on landing at Kano.
The Boeing 707 had been chartered by Nigeria Airways to fly Hajj Pilgrims back from Jeddah to Lagos.
Bad weather at Lagos forced the crew to divert to Kano.
176 passengers and crew were killed.
Hi rog747, thanks for the info. I'll see if I can track down which aircraft rego was involved in this incident. I don't believe it had an Alia or Jordanian World paint scheme.