PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester-3
Thread: Manchester-3
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2024, 11:12
OzzyOzBorn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I don't mean to drag out this discussion, but let's factcheck afew items, since some seem to consider all my points to be b*******.

Global sea-level has risen 400ft over the last 20,000 years. Easily verifiable - check for yourself. Did primitive cave-dwellers cause this?
The landbridge which 20,000 years ago connected a line from latter-day East Anglia through Cornwall to the continental European landmass was finally severed around 8,200 years ago. Easily verifiable - check for yourself. Did early homosapiens cause this, or was it natural processes?
Mega Lake Chad, 7,000 years ago considered to be the largest freshwater lake on the planet, now part of the Sahara Desert. Easily verifiable - check for yourself. Which human tribe caused this?

The timescales outlined above - 20,000 years or less through to today - are extremely short in geological terms. If we accept that natural climate processes drove these hugely consequential changes, why do some suppose that those processes suddenly halted of their own accord, only to be replaced by Mr and Mrs Smith flying to Mallorca and boiling a kettle? No, those powerful forces remain as much at play as they ever were - you can verify that too.

Another fact: plant life on Earth cannot exist without CO2 in the atmosphere, and we can't exist without plant life. 0.04% CO2 in the atmosphere represents a good balance. Easily verifiable again. I'm sure that many of those who glue themselves to roads would happily endorse removing all CO2 from the atmosphere if they could.

Human contribution to climate change is marginal, and we cannot change natural megatrends by embracing nonsensical politically-motivated gestures (eg. movement caps at DUB and AMS). What we can do is adjust to changing conditions, embrace the positive changes (yes, they do exist), mitigate the downsides as best we can. All of this stuff is easily verifiable.

I 100% endorse efforts to eliminate pollution from our environment - because it is the right thing to do. But this must be primarily a technology-led endeavour executed in a sustainable way.

It is interesting that those who dismiss my posts in their entirety as [insert profanity of choice] do not tackle any of the specific points outlined above. I wonder why not?