PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Edinburgh-4
Thread: Edinburgh-4
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2024, 08:27
BA318

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by laviation
I just don’t see what pre clearance is going to attract for EDI?

If there was a new, modern terminal being built then it could properly be done. It works at Dublin because that is a proper network hub, and tiny town Shannon does not have a huge need for space - more of a perk there. Same goes for BFS to an extent - if pre clearance covers a gate or two. A perk for any potential future US link.

I think EDI should look at this from the same perspective of MAN - not worth the space, not worth the investment. El Dorado isn’t just going to magically appear..

As for the SAS/Skyteam argument, that’s talking single digits per week. I would much rather fly direct from ARN then route ARN-EDI-XXX. I’m sure the added connection time would be much longer than these immigration queues?

What EDI really should’ve been chasing is EIUK though. A proper based carrier which would benefit from being in a home market (IAG/OW).
I’m based at ARN. The trouble is we don’t have many direct flights. We can fly to JFK, EWR or MIA (seasonal). For anywhere else we need to change. Most often I end up on Finnair or BA. I have global entry so preclearance isn’t a dealbreaker for me but if flights work I’d have no problem going via EDI and sticking with SAS and Skyteam.
As for immigration times, I’ve queued nearly 3hrs last year at IAD and had plenty of connections shorter than that.