PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Inert nuclear missile found in US man's garage
Old 3rd Feb 2024, 14:28
gums

Received 56 Likes on 17 Posts
Still laughing...... anyway,

The Genie was surprisingly accurate considering the motor did not fire until the thing was almost 2 meters/yards underneath your butt. There was a wire that pulled a device on it to start the motor. Carried them on a rotary door. We fired the things every year before the motor propellant castings on older ones cracked. Great exercise for crews and the ammo loaders in the squad, and gave us a good feeling about using one in WW3 to stop a Bear or Bison. It was very small diameter warhead...figure a large soccer ball in a tube about a meter long. Our plane would be about 3 or 4 km behind when it was supposed explode in front of the bomber. No guidance and used a timer our weapon system set.

Got to launch one from my trusty VooDoo back in 1966. Because we rolled out at the drone's dead six, the thing zoomed past the drone before activating the simulated nuke out in front of it. The telemetry claimed a "zero" miss distance as it passed. Sucker went straight as an arrow. The next year was a bust for me and my RIO because the motor did not ignite and the thing fell for over a minute broadcasting all the way down, heh heh.

Gums recalls...
The following 2 users liked this post by gums: