PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Falklands 40
Thread: Falklands 40
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2024, 14:21
AndySmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ignore the HUD
I was part of the team that relocated a TPS 43 and a 44? from Stanley to Canopus Hill overlooking the airfield. One had some damage which I was told was a result of a Black Buck mission . I believe both of them ended up back in the UK.
Originally Posted by 1066

Which radar was it just up the hill, SW from the control tower? Westinghouse? I remember being told the that an American took just one printed circuit card with him before our boys arrived. We were told he was from the manufacturers and the loss of that one card was enough to make the radar useless.

Originally Posted by MAINJAFAD
Sold to Pakistan apparently, One of the 2 radars captured in June 1982 was got operational in some form as a friend of mine from my first operational tour got an AOC's commendation for fixing it. The one he got working was the Army Cardion TPS-44. The TPS-43 was quite heavily sabotaged and Westinghouse wouldn't do a support contract until the British got it out of the South Atlantic. Both of the Captured radars were returned to the UK in early 1983 (I happened to met the guy who set up their transport to the UK a few years back and he told me some of the bun fights he had with the CBFFI staff at the time trying to get the kit back to the UK). I do have some photos of from the files at the UK national archives somewhere which do record what the original plans for setting FIADGE up were but can not locate them at the minute. S-259 was down there by the time the war finished, followed by an S-600.at the end of the year.
I have been working on a piece, on and off, about what happened to the Argentine radars immediately post conflict. I am good friends with the Officer in charge of the Cardion radar, he now lives in Atlanta. The Cardion was initially located on Sapper Hill, until it was shelled the night of 1st May. It was then relocated to the edge of Stanley. When I was interviewing the radar commander, he recalled it as being next to the first airstrip built in Stanley further down the airport road before Hookers Point. However, we since found some video footage of the radar around the time of the surrender and it was just across the road from the buildings in White City (Davis Street IIRC) - and he confirmed that he must have been mistaken after all these years. I would be interested to hear any new information about the radars post surrender.

The Air Force radar was further in town, located towards the end of Dairy Paddock Road for the entirety of the conflict, close to the junction of what is now the Stanley bypass. It was damaged in the early hours of 31st May by the BB 5 sortie.

A huge amount of the Argentine Archive has now been published online and it's been interesting trawling through the information regarding the radars and CIC in Stanley.