PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - King Air C90A controllability issues
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2024, 22:32
43Inches

Received 432 Likes on 236 Posts
Originally Posted by NZFlyingKiwi
Yes I think it depends on how you interpret the phrase 'minor controllability issues', it could simply be that the pilot's handling was less accurate than usual which I think would be understandable hand flying in IMC while looking across the cockpit for the HSI on the opposite side. I think it's a big call to question the quality of training based on that one single statement.
Also quality of training would not be a factor if it's a 10,000 hour pilot that trained 30 years ago. Could also be lack of practice of raw data flying, which is creeping more and more into play given the amount of automation in all levels of Aviation. A turboprop captain told me how their co-pilot could not maintain +-400 feet in IMC when they had a primary attitude failure, he had to take over and fly when he'd rather be conducting the checklist and working out what had failed.

I was left seat early days in a Seneca 1 on an ILS into Essendon with the all the gear on my side with young instructor on the right, and I was super impressed at his ability to follow it amazingly well from that angle.
That is what the instructor is trained to do though, flying from the right hand side, pretty much all scans will be cross cockpit in trainers from the RH side.
The following users liked this post: