PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Edinburgh-4
Thread: Edinburgh-4
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2024, 16:32
edi_local

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BA318
I wouldn’t say it’s improved. I flew to the US five times last year. JFK queues ranged from 35min to 2.5hrs. IAD was nearly 3 hours. DFW was 5 mins (although my colleague waited 2hrs a few days later). I have Global Entry now though which is a game changer.
I agree. I have been to the USA 4 times in the last 14 months and only once, in EWR, did I have a quick entry experience (just as well as I was in transit), where I waited about 10 minutes. IAH a few months later was about an hour, TPA at Christmas time was nearly 90 minutes, and BOS a few weeks ago was nearly 2 hours. Pretty much the only positive change is that they no longer stamp passports in the USA, as it saves valuable space. If EDI does gain pre-clearance it'll be a positive step and will open up much tighter connections on the US side. I am a bit confused as to where in the terminal they would put such a facility though as it also needs to be able to clear baggage for customs. Perhaps the current IA1 area will be renovated, it has the space for queuing, passport desks, and baggage belts already, so would make sense...but then CTA arrivals would need somewhere else to go, and it would be awkward to work it into the current flow of the terminal.