PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - COLD WAR VETERANS
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2024, 09:19
SLXOwft

Received 133 Likes on 87 Posts
The following is with the provisio, I can't see it happening given the number of suggestions from within parliament for additional medals eg for Op Relentless. Look how feet have been dragged over the 'Wider Service Medal' which Ben Wallace says he signed off months before he stepped down as SoS.

I notice the originator of the petition states
provision of the medal itself should be at cost - it should not be provided free of charge.
One thing missing from the petition is a sensible minimum service criterion (with exceptions for those who died or whose service was terminated early due to injury in the line of duty).

The outlook is very UK/Commonwealth, I am thinking of the US Recruiting service and training service ribbons, Professional development Ribbons, Service and training awards etc.True my father's generation joked USN personnel came out of basic training with the Head Cleaning Medal.

There are exceptions to the risk and rigour criteria (which applies to campaign medals), medals are awarded for other reasons, without diminishing the status of campaign medals or gallantry awards.

Do those above who deride the idea, but would be eligible think, LSGCMs should not be awarded?

Thanks to Her Late Majesty's longevity plenty of Jubilee medals are to be seen. As is the King's Coronation Medal.

One shouldn't forget the Soviet Union was happy to send material supplies to the Provos as war by proxy. (Yes, I know GSM NI)

Anyway thanks to those of you who put in a real shift in the Cold War we are still all entitled to express our differing opinions.

Last edited by SLXOwft; 2nd Feb 2024 at 10:16. Reason: missing letters