PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ASIC processing time?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2024, 04:56
Bend alot

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by PiperCameron
At small uncontrolled airports, you don't - and you don't need one to fly a plane either. ...but at larger airports it's for Security. Airport Security.

You can't just allow any Joe Public wander around a busy tarmac unsupervised (props and turbines are expensive to fix after someone walks into one) so the implication is that someone who holds an ASIC has at least some amount of knowledge to know where they can and can't go - for their own safety and the safety of other people's aircraft.

Sure.. and I wonder how many ground incidents they have compared to Oz? I get airport security asking to see mine daily (granted, that's every time I try to go airside) and for that reason I doubt you could get a counterfeit one programmed to let you go anywhere you please at any major airport in this country.
As a valid ASIC & current holder - I am aware of airports that require them ( did say when asked it was at a port 1 was not required!!!!!!!!)
Security at airports before ASIC (9/11) worked fine - feel free to link the human FOD you refer to in your reply.
I have worked at a place even the janitor needed an ASIC - they did not provide him of ANY aircraft precautions during his application or approval - again please provide why an ASIC = safety or aircraft/airport knowledge.

If you get asked near daily for your ASIC, you must have that face - THE VAST most of us do not ever get asked to produce it.

Many places use just a airport access card to get airside, costs minimal requires the company to be responsible and issued immediate for a temp or about a week - even the Airforce 1 use these airports & not an ASIC in site.