PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ASIC processing time?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2024, 04:25
Clare Prop

Received 239 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by PiperCameron
Because the AI reading your faded and coffee-stained Birth Certificate (you did include a copy, didn't you?!?) couldn't quite match up your middle initial with the typo on your application form and bounced it back to an underpaid, overworked "Administrative Assistant" in the bowels of a Canberra building somewhere... and you were unlucky enough that at the precise moment your application landed on their desk they got up for a toilet break and never came back. FWIW, I got mine in 3 weeks.

The question I'd be asking when you do finally receive it is what the expiry date is, 'cause I'll bet it ain't 24 months from your application date!
Briefly to answer some of the points raised in the last few posts:

If there is a difference in the names on the documents and the application it won't get as far as the Auscheck system. That's one of the things checked for at the interview. Any discrepancies in name require a formal change of name certificate, yes even for one letter.
The expiry is the end of the month two years after you get the clearance from Auscheck. eg if the clearance comes through on 5 Jan 2024, it will be valid until 31.1.26 and will say JAN 26

ASICS are needed at Security Controlled airports at the times they state in their Transport Security Program and an aerodrome employee can ask to see it.

ASICS are required by pilots to exercise the privileges of their licence under this regulation AVIATION TRANSPORT SECURITY REGULATIONS 2005 - REG 6.55 Exercise of privileges of flight crew licences etc (austlii.edu.au)

ATSR 6.55 is nothing to do with CASA and a CASA officer doesn't have the authority to ask to see your ASIC. The only time they want to see it is at licence application.

The reason having third parties in the process can make it take longer is if for example the issuing body requires that you go to Australia Post to have the documents checked, or another third party to do the printing.

Alleging that the issuing bodies are entering fraudulent information into Auscheck is a serious one and something that would get picked up striaght away anyway.

If you are unhappy about having an ASIC then rather than abusing the issuing bodies and their agents go and see your Federal MP. Being belligerent at the ID check raises a lot of red flags so things like swearing and being aggressive or accusing the agent of fraudulent activity without any evidence are not going to help your application.

Other countries often have a separate card for each aerodrome which is a lot more onerous.

There are lots of people who have ASICs that know nothing about aeroplanes, people who do runway works, mow the grass etc