PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ASIC processing time?
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2024, 22:21
PiperCameron

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Bend alot
Why do we even need an ASIC?
At small uncontrolled airports, you don't - and you don't need one to fly a plane either. ...but at larger airports it's for Security. Airport Security.

You can't just allow any Joe Public wander around a busy tarmac unsupervised (props and turbines are expensive to fix after someone walks into one) so the implication is that someone who holds an ASIC has at least some amount of knowledge to know where they can and can't go - for their own safety and the safety of other people's aircraft.

Originally Posted by Bend alot
I have been asked once for mine (at an airport that did not require one!) since they came out.
I am sure that any person that wanted 1 for non genuine use could get a pretty good 1 for $10 some place.
Other countries do not need them.
Sure.. and I wonder how many ground incidents they have compared to Oz? I get airport security asking to see mine daily (granted, that's every time I try to go airside) and for that reason I doubt you could get a counterfeit one programmed to let you go anywhere you please at any major airport in this country.