PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie & Flying Training Advice (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2024, 15:13
Clare Prop

Received 239 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by WillyJ09
Hello! I am a UK private pilot and Australian citizen who wants to move to Oz in order to get my CPL. I have sent off all the necessary forms to convert my UK PPL and searching for flying schools. I would preferably like an integrated course somewhere in the southwest near Melbourne. I am in the early stages of my searching and want to be fully informed. I have a bunch of questions. I want to become a bush pilot

Is it true I get to keep my UK rating as well as gaining an Oz one?

Do my hours flown in GB registered aircraft count towards my CPL once I have converted my PPL to Australian?

Do any of you have advice to someone in my position, with regards to good schools/pricing/options for achieving my CPL?

What hidden pitfalls could I expect whilst undertaking this plan?

What are the prospects of being able to fly internationally and work in different countries having gained a CASA CPL (such as the states). Does it just involve a lot of paperwork and faffing?

I don't expect all my questions to be answered in one go and would appreciate any feedback or tips!!

Cheers
No point getting an Australian CPL unless you have citizenship or a visa that allows you to work here. My advice would be to come over on a tourist visa, convert your PPL, build up a chunk of command hours here then go back and do the exams and Modular CPL back there.otherwise you will spend a fortune getting CPL here and another fortune converting it.
Your hours will all count if you go it that way, but if u you do an integrated course you have to start from scratch. Most f lying schools have little experience dealing with this but I went through the process myself snd have both UK and Aus CPL And instructor ratings