PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Falklands 40
Thread: Falklands 40
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2024, 04:41
MAINJAFAD

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ORAC
The TPS-43 was renamed the T99 radar and went on to serve with 1ACC (144SU) replacing the T-259. It was deployed to Cyprus during GWI to supplement 280SU and was eventually replaced by the T-101 and was taken out of service in 1999. Don’t know what happened to it after that.
Sold to Pakistan apparently, One of the 2 radars captured in June 1982 was got operational in some form as a friend of mine from my first operational tour got an AOC's commendation for fixing it. The one he got working was the Army Cardion TPS-44. The TPS-43 was quite heavily sabotaged and Westinghouse wouldn't do a support contract until the British got it out of the South Atlantic. Both of the Captured radars were returned to the UK in early 1983 (I happened to met the guy who set up their transport to the UK a few years back and he told me some of the bun fights he had with the CBFFI staff at the time trying to get the kit back to the UK). I do have some photos of from the files at the UK national archives somewhere which do record what the original plans for setting FIADGE up were but can not locate them at the minute. S-259 was down there by the time the war finished, followed by an S-600.at the end of the year.