PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Iran
Thread: Iran
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2024, 14:27
Lonewolf_50

Received 478 Likes on 297 Posts
ORAC:
Interesting news, thanks. While I would like to the see Saudis take advantage of that, I suspect that they'll not do that since they don't want to appear to their various Arab colleagues to be helping Israel.
Their intervention at this point could easily be spun in that direction in the Information War.

In other related news, which points to Iran perhaps telling the Houthis and certain militias to tone it down a bit ...
​​​​​​ ​The Iraq-based terrorist group believed to be responsible for the fatal attack on U.S. troops in Jordan announced that it is suspending military activity in the region.

The group, Kata’ib Hezbollah, says it is halting operations under pressure from its backers in Iran and the Iraqi government, according to the New York Times.
President Biden has nevertheless vowed to respond to the Sunday attack, which left three U.S. soldiers dead and roughly 30 more injured.

Kata'ib Hezbollah, which translates to "Brigades of the Party of God," is responsible for a large majority of the more than 160 attacks against U.S. forces operating in Iraq and Syria since mid-October.

"We announce the suspension of military and security operations against the occupation forces — in order to prevent embarrassment to the Iraqi government," the group's leader, Abu Hussein al-Hamidawi, said in a statement late Tuesday.

Iraqi Prime Minister Mohammed Shia al-Sudani had called for a halt to attacks on the U.S. in late 2023, but he went ignored. Following the death of American troops, however, he interceded to the Iranian government directly, according to the Times.
I'll give him high marks for his efforts to cool things down.
He knows that if this snowballs his country will pay a price.