PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC contributed to 15% of flight delays in December
Old 31st Jan 2024, 13:29
StudentInDebt

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by missy
LGW gets trotted as the beacon of all things single runway.

LGW 26L and 08R have a displaced threshold and taxiways that enter the runway prior to the landing threshold, so the departing is able to line up sooner than would be the case at eg MEL 16 B, or SYD 16R A1/B1/B2. Simple maths really as the aircraft is in position to roll as soon as the lander is vacating via the suitably spaced RETs. Gatwick has a declared capacity of 55 movements per hour and has effective ATFM tools to more easily switch between ARR and DEP biases.
I don’t get this argument, you don’t get cleared to enter the runway at LGW until the landing traffic has passed you, as the 26L threshold is displaced surely there is a longer period between the traffic passing (at 200ft) to them vacating the runway making it comparable to passing at B/C and vacating on G (for rwy16). From a pilot perspective, there no reason I can see the an aircraft cannot be in the lined up position when using B/C. The abject failure of Australian airports to introduced proper high-speed exits to match the landing performance of both medium and heavy aircraft may compound things. I’m not an air traffic controller but surely restricting the use of E in single runway configuration would help the flow?

Last edited by StudentInDebt; 31st Jan 2024 at 13:52.
The following 2 users liked this post by StudentInDebt: