PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Logging flight hours
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2024, 08:57
Jhieminga

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Prop swinger
Assuming the UK adopted the EASA definition of cross country flight, then:so probably not a 15nm jaunt to an exercise area, at least not for the full hour. Only relevant if you're hour building for the CPL MPL or ATPL, of course.
As far as I can tell the amendments to EASA Part-FCL to make it into UK Part-FCL do not include a change to that particular definition. That means that there is no 15nm limit within the regulations, but the definition does state "a pre-planned route, using standard navigation procedures". Assuming that you do not draw a line on the map and write out a complete navlog for every jaunt to the exercise area, I'm not sure I would log these bits as a cross-country flight. You can of course have a 'local' cross-country flight where you fly a pre-planned route but end up at the same aerodrome. Personally, I only tick the 'X-C' box in my logbook if I'm going to another airfield, but as I'm not actively looking to collect more of these hours for any purpose, it's mostly a bookkeeping exercise.

Going back to the main question, you can certainly use two 'X-C' columns, one for UK and one for Canada, provided that this is the only real difference between the two sets of regulations. I am not entirely sure that total experience can be added up for both licences if you'll ever need to show a specific amount of hours to one authority... make sure to check this if you're going to upgrade your licence in the future.