PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Too close for comfort - easyJet lands with 18m fuel
Old 30th Jan 2024, 07:20
CaptainProp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NoelEvans
What is a "standard day"?

I have experienced three occasions when the airport has been closed on a CAVOK day with light winds. On two occasions the aeroplane behind us had an incident closing the airfield and causing everyone else to divert. (Both were A320s, one went off the side of the runway to avoid an overrun, the other landed with the brakes on...! That should identify the airport!) and myself had to hold and very nearly divert when a light aircraft had gone off the runway, closing the airport. So don't think that diverts are 'only' weather related! And, as albatross has correctly said, you won't be the only one diverting so it might be worth considering where you divert to if there are other options. Also, I once had a weather divert (with plenty of fuel!) where our company asked us not to divert to our first diversion as the local team's 'away' football match meant that there were no busses for the pax.

Diverts can become very complex and what is a "standard day"!!
But you are talking about more or less freak events. Planning fuel uplift for these type of events on a daily basis is simply unprofessional and has nothing to do with safety. 9/11 happened, do we bring more, full, fuel now “just in case”?

So of course there are “standard days”, of course it’s not all weather related but we plan with the information we have, use our experience with airport X Y and Z to make decisions that are reasonable, professional, safe and financially sound. That’s our job.
You’re talking about events you would perhaps bring up with someone just reaching command, or perhaps new in to commercial aviation, to make them aware that things can happen. Keep your mind open, try to plan ahead when things are developing into something that’s no longer a “standard day”. If you get info that airport is closed, or runway blocked, take an early decision to divert, be proactive.

CP