PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod recce of Argentine coast 1982
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2004, 23:26
scroggs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Falklands campaign in general revealed in many ways how little each of the Services knew about the others' operational techniques and capabilities at the time, and this generated false expectations and much bad feeling - as is shown in Sharky's book and Navaleye's post above. I was witness to one contretemps between the task force and a Nimrod that was entirely caused by different interpretations of the rules applying to aircraft within the task force zone. Before you leap on the Nimrod crew, their interpretation had been provided by the Senior Naval Officer's staff in Ascension....

It's easily done!

Anyway, there was a lot of activity away from the immediate Falklands area, but of direct relevence to the war, carried out by many agencies - including the RAF. The value of those activities is debatable, especially as (I would guess) the results never reached the intended recipients a lot of the time! As, I would imagine, the revelation of those activities could cause serious embarrassment to UK and foreign politicians of the day, it's likely that they will remain secret until 2012 - or later!