PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Network EBA
Thread: Network EBA
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2024, 01:45
walesregent

Received 239 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by framer
Right, I now have 35 minutes on a train so I’ll explain why Soseg’s negative comments about the 43% annoyed me and then I’ll leave it alone.
Let’s say that the Network pilot group is split into ‘group A ‘ and ‘group B’ where group A is the 43% and B is the 57%. ( no point in including abstentions).
The best outcome for Network pilots, and to a lesser degree all Australian pilots, is if A and B get along, they are communicating with each other and able to join forces and pull in the same direction when it is needed. The worst thing for Network pilots is if hate and vitriol develop between group A and B because human nature requires most people to dig in, to become entrenched in their position and make decisions not based on the relevant facts in front of them, but on their instinctual connection to their group. The decisions become emotionally determined rather than logical and it makes it very difficult for the average human to change camps ( especially if they are adult males). That resistance to listening and to changing from group A to B increases in line with the animosity and adversarial comments.
A while back there was a challenging moment in the relationship between A and B ( that’s fine, same as all relationships) and now something good is happening, and naturally the sting of the challenge dissipates as the weeks roll by……..until someone in group B fans the embers.
The smart thing to do, the intelligent thing to do, the mature thing to do for the health of the relationship ( and therefore the advancement of pilot terms and conditions in Australia) is for group B pilots to control their emotions and comments and let time time do its thing so as to allow an easier path for group A pilots to change camps. Not all will but it’s the best chance of the best outcome.
Purposely highlighting the differences in a denigrating way, out of context, is the opposite of what’s needed. Ie it slows the advancement of pilot terms and conditions in Australia. What’s required is really easy, just stay mute on anything that splits the pilot group.
That’s my take anyway. I’m impressed with the cohesion displayed and wish you all the best from the East.
Largely agree- mocking someone with an alternative viewpoint is seldom productive. For me the outcome of the last vote (57% no) was close to as encouraging as the first one (~93% no) because it was an increase in the no count in spite of a gruellingly long process, an unambiguous endorsement of a yes vote by AFAP and an almost certainly better deal than has thus far been presented. I’d say it shook the company close to as much as the outcome of the first vote, too.