PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Too few instrument ratings?
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2024, 22:23
KRviator

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Kunnas
I believe that it is somewhere in the vicinity of 15% Dick. Whist not surprised that the percentage in Australia is lower, I was surprised by the margin.
No it's not. Dick Smith is pretty spot on on what he's said, but it's a little more involved than that.

The data I've found only goes to December 2021, but it shows a gradual decline from 53-54% to 46% of all (eligible) US pilots hold an instrument rating. I excluded glider and sport pilots from the total US pilot population but left student pilots included. The %-age will be slightly lower if you were to include glider & sport pilots, but I don't think that's fair. It's like including RAAus pilots in the pilot population here...

However, If you simply exclude student pilots but leave everyone else there, you'll find about 2/3rds of all US pilots hold an instrument rating - but If you crunch the numbers a little more (table 9's the best view), and assume CPL/ATPL's need a CIR for their employment, you find that it's 15% of PPL's that hold a rating as at December 2021