PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Too close for comfort - easyJet lands with 18m fuel
Old 29th Jan 2024, 19:49
NoelEvans

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainProp
... take fuel when weather / situation call for it, not to try to avoid any and all diversions on a standard day. ...
What is a "standard day"?

I have experienced three occasions when the airport has been closed on a CAVOK day with light winds. On two occasions the aeroplane behind us had an incident closing the airfield and causing everyone else to divert. (Both were A320s, one went off the side of the runway to avoid an overrun, the other landed with the brakes on...! That should identify the airport!) and myself had to hold and very nearly divert when a light aircraft had gone off the runway, closing the airport. So don't think that diverts are 'only' weather related! And, as albatross has correctly said, you won't be the only one diverting so it might be worth considering where you divert to if there are other options. Also, I once had a weather divert (with plenty of fuel!) where our company asked us not to divert to our first diversion as the local team's 'away' football match meant that there were no busses for the pax.

Diverts can become very complex and what is a "standard day"!!