PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Logging flight hours
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2024, 14:55
Genghis the Engineer

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts
I haven't used my Transport Canada PPL for years, but do have CAA, EASA and FAA CPLs, so have a reasonable knowledge I hope of the rules.

Originally Posted by Puffpuffgive
Morning,

I have two questions. I hold a UK and a Canadian PPL.

Does the CAA require you to log every flight that you fly in your pilots log?
Yes it does. Unlike, say, FAA, who only require enough evidence to show compliance with licencing recency rules.

Transport Canada and the CAA have different rules on how some flights are logged (such as Cross Country), who's rules should I follow in my pilot log book, should I record each flight twice in two pilot logs one for UK and one for Canada?

Thanks for any advice
You should comply with both. Where the rules are different either side of the Atlantic, either keep two logbooks, or have multiple columns so that the totals are added up differently according to each authority - this last is what I do.

The ability to keep an electronic logbook helps a lot in my case, so whilst I do maintain a paper logbook (quite a complicated one) it's my electronic logbook that really works out all the different totals for the various authorities who I hold licences with. There are a load of commercial products out there but personally, I wrote my own - originally in MS Excel, nowadays running in Libre Office Calc, as I didn't find any of the commercial logbooks could handle the sheer complexity of what I need to log well enough. To be fair, I went electronic ten years ago, so I'm sure that there are better products available now.

G