PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Too few instrument ratings?
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2024, 09:34
Checkboard

Received 133 Likes on 65 Posts
Australia has lower terrain and more benign weather. It's harder to justify a rating for a private pilot.

And Australians are cheap.

I was an instructor at Moorabbin many years ago, and a private Mooney owner walked in to the office. He wanted to return to Sydney, I think it was, but the weather had him locked into the Melbourne area. He asked if I could fly his Mooney IFR over the hills, so he could continue north from Mangalore. That's not an unusual job, if you need to get home.

So I worked up a quote - one pilot in a Warrior IFR to Mangalore and back (for the pick up and return to Moorabbin), and one pilot for his Mooney. He literally gasped at the price, so I asked him what he thought would be reasonable.

He said "I thought you would do it for the experience.", and I asked how he expected me to get back, and he said "Well, by bus, I expect."

So ... what he thought was "reasonable" was for me to use my professional licence and rating to fly him for 45 minutes or so to Mangalore, and then spend six or eight hours to catch a bus back to Melbourne and find my own way to Moorabbin from there, all for free (for the 45 minutes log book time). I actually laughed in his face.
The following users liked this post: