PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gatwick-3
Thread: Gatwick-3
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2024, 15:30
Rutan16

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Travel24
Gatwick is in the best possible situation right now. You guys can disagree with me but it is. Vietnam don’t want double daily to London but they don’t have slots for Heathrow in the summer.

if airlines like Singapore airlines are going to Gatwick anyone will. I’ve suggested many airlines that could be maybes not this year but next year too. Thai is a maybe because it is popular just the yield isn’t as good. Every airline I’ve also suggested want Heathrow slots sometimes a lot like Kuwait and gulf air which could make Gatwick a maybe although I haven’t heard anything on them.

also taag get 787s this year so that will enable growth.

I’ve said my list for potentials this year and what I expect. Taag, azul, avianca, cathay, another Chinese airline, air Tanzania, air peace and Sri Lankan.

i think this is quite realistic as a list! If the second runway gets approved it will make everything so much better and east
Not very much of a critical thinker 🤔

As for TAAG little chance of 2024 deliveries . They didn’t complete the engine choice and power by hour contract till November gone !

They aren’t for expansion as far as I can see but to replace the three already parked 77E and that leased in capacity.

Again look at the virtual African carriers - how on earth are any close to starting up let alone have equipment , licenses and ancillary contract !

And again would YOU put your money anywhere near Air Peace when you know the facts behind them seriously ?

Nigeria Air (Ethiopian) is bogged down in bureaucracy and potential issues with the FGN as to whether Abuja or Lagos should be the base - Ethiopian have a logical preference for the later for commercial reasons. Again to have any agreement aircraft, staff and ancillary contracts; indeed licences and slots in place during 2024 seems extremely optimistic.

Their initial targets are Johannesburg, Addis and Dubai according to the Nigerian authorities - London would be in the second phase .

Remember many many years ago, Avianca at Gatwick on a Thursday afternoon, however can’t see why they would consider a split operation today, just doesn’t make any sense. Have a spare frame best sent on another Spanish rotation imho.
Squeezed capacity is also incredibly useful at maintaining margins 👍

Another Chinese flight maybe depending on the perceived political benefits and organised tour requirements.

Azul I said yes previously - they might be able to borrow slots from their buddies at TAP

Personally still have doubts about Cathay in 2024 , but willing to hold judgement based on the local political situation .

I’d like to here your thought process around SriLanka please.

Having faith isn’t at all compatible with business realities

As for commissioning of the current temporary runway on a more permanent bases , there are many legal and regulatory hurdles including safety concerns, it’s far more than a paper exercise , includes a displaced threshold and NEW construction shoulders to the North , will require local approvals, may only be used for departure sequences on 26R and that’s before a mass of environmental impact assessments and mitigations.

Kuwait and Gulfair are niche and boutique carriers these days and have both taken their UK growth potential elsewhere. Neither has any further capacity any time soon. Alia Royal Jordanian similarly.

Last edited by Rutan16; 28th Jan 2024 at 16:15.