PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie & Flying Training Advice (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2024, 09:03
Ladloy

Received 127 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Linco.piro
I’m sure you are aware by now but the Jetstar program has Been merged with the qantas now which I personally feel was a bad move as the Jetstar program was one of the best programs for becoming a pilot. I’m 18 and have started to apply for cadet programs and have done some thorough research on which ones are best. I’ve just applied for the Rex cadet program which I think is the best and fastest way to become a commercial pilot. I would definitely recommend the cadet program route and leave the GA route till last, as it is quite long and expensive. Rex are also doing three intake per year, and if you are knocked back you can apply again in 6 months. They need pilots so there is definitely a lot of opportunity to become one through them. It may sound strange but I would avoid the qantas academy, as it is just as beneficial as doing a university degree, you could end up owing nearly two hundred thousand dollars and not be guaranteed a job. So overall if you’re looking to become a pilot quickly once you’re 18, do the Rex program or even try out the airforce if you’d like. The Rex program values loyalty, commitment, and passion, there is a twenty five thousand dollar fee upon your acceptance of the course, and the rest of the money will be paid via a bond, so a small amount of your wage will pay it off as you have a guaranteed job in completion of the course. The course is also approx 9-10 months, so although it would be quite intensive, I imagine the reward would be more than worth it.
The repayment schedule is crippling at Rex. I would put a lot of thought into the terms and conditions before jumping.