PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways Direct Entry Pilot
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2024, 19:20
Plastic787

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by blimey
Plastic787

Yes they were, and out of seniority: including losing out to new DEPs who had only done some ground school on the 'high efficiency fleets'.
So if you think seniority is going to protect you, it isn't. Being on the right fleet is.
Those pilots unlucky enough to have been binned off the 747 and 380 fleets were made redundant on seniority and seniority alone.

The safe seniority line did not move an inch as a result of the high efficiency fleets, it really is very simple and I can’t believe people are still getting tied up over this. The only thing that the high efficiency fleets thing did was protect certain low seniority pilots on the 787 and A350 but absolutely nobody was made redundant on other fleets as a result of this action who would have been safe otherwise.

Or would you rather have seen all those redundancies and all the relevant low seniority 787 and 350 pilots out of a job too? That’s nice.

Yes certain fleets were protected which is I guess the main thrust of your argument but let’s not pretend that the seniority of any pilot who was above the line was in any way infringed, it wasn’t.

To reiterate nobody with a seniority number on the safe side of the cut off point was then nevertheless made redundant as a consequence of their being on a “redundant fleet”. That was my point and it is still valid.

Last edited by Plastic787; 27th Jan 2024 at 21:46.