PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Paying of a sick note
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2004, 21:36
Flyin'Dutch'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick reality check:

As part of our terms and conditions of service we as NHS GPs are required to provide, those who are incapable to work, with sick notes for Statutory Sickness Benefits.

These can be meds 3, 4 or 5.

That is what we get paid for by the NHS. The bumpf which comes with these specifically states that we do not require to give these forms out for periods of less than 7 days or for the first 7 days of longer periods of illness.

The reason that this is regulated like this is that GPs are independent contractors to the NHS and their contracts specify those items the NHS deems it worthwhile to pay us for so that they get done.

We are happy to do those things which we have agreed to do for the NHS.

However extra things cost extra money, and sicknotes for other purposes than SSP; notes within 7 days, letters saying that you need a new house because you can not get on with your neighbours etc etc are not part of the NHS contract.

Now I don't know of many people that do extra work for no extra pay and if you think about it I think you would be slightly miffed to have to come and clean your employer's house, just because you happen to be on his company's pay roll and it is 'just something you can do in a jiffy'

Not only do we like to have a bit of a life outside the day job but there are some other issues at stake.

How about patient empowerment?

Do you really think that a kiddie needs a sicknote if they have to be off school for a few days as they have a bug? Or can a parent give such a note?

Do kids that want to partake in the panto over Christmas need a note to say that they are 'fit' for this?

If you need to miss an exam at uni because you are not well, would it not be kinda nice that they take your adulthood serious and believe you?

And would you be really happy to have to wait a few days because I am seeing all these people for their sicknotes/letters/certificates and you get more and more ill with your pneumonia?

My wife came home and mentioned somebody she worked with had to pay for one. I couldn't believe it. I just chalked it up to how crap the NHS really is.
This society has the NHS it has allowed to evolve into.

FD (feeling better already!)