PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is a C210 a dangerous plane?
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2024, 09:54
The Wawa Zone

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Short answer: No.
If you are looking for a job then first get a dozen hours PIC on both, and get your short field t/off and landing techniques down pat.
The in flight breakups of late seem to have been in convective weather, which can create two outcomes; the wings come off in controlled wings-level flight due to turbulence or control has been lost and the thing is over stressed while trying to recover. Either way, the first problem was getting into a really small bit of cloud that wasn't actually a really small bit of cloud.

C172's are less likely to be found flying around in cloud in remote tropical areas up north, that's why.

"If you can fly a C206, you can fly a C210 ?" You can fly a C210 as well and lots more, but I think you are asking about differences.
I'll try to find a C210 cheat sheet I made up in a different century, but basically:
1. don't overestimate what you can do in a 206 or underestimate what you can do in a 210.
2. the 210 wants to float if a couple of knots too fast on final, and will float along in ground effect until it drops like a wet beach towel, assumes a banana shape, and needs to be dragged off behind a tractor while leaving deep ruts in the ground. Fly finals using correct airspeed for weight and correct aimpoint and this won't happen.
3. figure out why there is a 4kt difference in stall speed between front and rear CG limits and use it.
4. the best concept I've ever heard about the C210 was years ago on PPRune - 'the C210 is like a big fast 1000cc road bike, it's not a trail bike. Treat it like a trail bike and it will kill you'. You need to fly it. The 206 will kill you for the same reason, just not quite so soon.
5. keep the gear mechanisms clean and with a lubed greasy feel.
6. read again what Compressor Stall wrote above, the thing wears many layers of clothing.

The following users liked this post: