PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Masters of the Air
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2024, 03:41
GlobalNav

Received 151 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Buster Hyman
Just watched the first 2 episodes & there was an emphasis on the night time RAF area bombing vs USAAF precision daylight bombing. The take away being that the USAAF were more careful... 🤔 Now, I'm clearly no expert & happy to learn something new, but I always thought that it was a skill issue more than anything. I have no basis or evidence of that, merely hearsay but could someone with a better grasp of the different tactics be able to 'educate me' here please?

As a TV show, it was okay. A bit slow, a bit surreal when compared to BoB & TP but I'll continue watching.
Well, the presents it as sort of a debate between biased crewmembers, from their personal point of view, not a scientific analysis. The Brits, disrespectfully claiming that daylight bombing is suicide, the Yanks, just as disrespectfully, saying that hazardous as it is, it’s better to aim at a military target and hit it. The crews seemed to see it as a trade off between accuracy and survival. In truth, I suppose accuracy in any case was not very high, and by the end of the war both air forces bombed rather indiscriminately.

Having read the book, and other works as well, I think the show did capture the extreme dangers, fog of war, unfortunate circumstances, youth of the crews, bearing the loss of friends and the courage it takes to climb on board the next flight.