PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing at X-Roads?
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2024, 19:00
remi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Peter47
Its what happens when a company becomes too large to fail. Do you think that the U.S. will let its only major civil airline manufacturer go down? I wonder if you could rule out Chapter 10 at some stage though? The paradox is that if you run a company solely for shareholders the shareholders (ot at least the long term one, there's the rub) the shareholders can end up loosing out.
The problem though is that Boeing is being managed to fail, as profitably as possible.

There are no meaningful new aircraft in the queue. Even the 787-3 was axed. They're going with what they have until it won't sell profitably any longer.

Boeing tanked in 2019 and seems to be struggling to break even since. I don't see what they are going to do to grow again, especially given this most recent fiasco, and the lack of any new aircraft anywhere in the pipeline.

The US government can't fix a company that is unprepared to manufacture desirable products in the future.

I don't know what can be done but I think spinning off or selling their defense business is probably inevitable. The US government will probably encourage that as the company continues to bleed money and demonstrate ongoing quality issues and other signs of ill health.