PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing at X-Roads?
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2024, 18:04
safetypee

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
A Credibility Gap

Boeing have a credibility gap between them and their investors, them and the FAA, and Government.

This in part, appears to a result of a complacent belief in past excellence and world leadership, and being commercially too big to fail in a leading world economy. They forgot that safety risks can match any commercial risk, and that grandfather rights don't rule just because you wrote the rule.

Similar features are appearing amongst the other participants; the FAA's worldwide credibility, and in some aspects of government - political strategies. The 'me first', my company, my country, may fail to appreciate that these views can also result in me-first-over-the-cliff in a rapidly changing world.
( This issue is by no means unique to the US, but as yet not apparent, or significant in other countries / industries; a time delay or active mitigation? )

The specific 737 Max issues relate to a misjudgement in recognising and adapting to change, blinkered by past success - both Boeing and FAA. The belief that past standards would be sufficient for an old design in a new worldly context, except that change has been rapid and with significant impact due to technology and safety advances. And change continues.

Boeing and FAA have not kept pace with changes requiring higher standards. Perhaps hindered by lack of government support, but now all parties face the problem of how to catchup in a situation where the pace of change continues to accelerate. More importantly, and in parallel, the challenge to restore credibility.

A new aircraft type is not a solution, just a small contribution to wider national issues.
There may not be a unique solution; first understand the current situation and the context of change, not expecting to control safety via regulation or quality inspection, which are both after-the-fact reactive strategies.
An uncertain future requires a new way of thinking, proactive; but what that might be has yet to emerge - fit for purpose.
At least recognising worldly aviation trends and being prepared for further change, and not to forget that we will be surprised by the uncertain future; the new normal.