PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways Direct Entry Pilot
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2024, 16:35
Plastic787

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by speed freek
They would move an entire fleet's worth of pilots to an already crewed up fleet during a downturn? Yeah right. You'd get binned out of seniority like the jumbo guys were but with a useless type rating. The CCQ is an in-house BA thing, the 350 is officially dual rated with the 330 only.

Personally, I'd avoid the 380. Plenty other fleets to choose from
busdriver01 has already beaten me to it above but - during the worst downturn for aviation we are ever going to see in our lifetimes (if WWIII broke out I think we’d have bigger problems to worry about than what fleet we’re on) - nobody was actually made redundant off the Jumbo or the 380 for that matter*. Granted in the case of the 747 there was a bit of Balpa involvement in that but the point still stands, the precedent has been set now. The conversion from 380 to 350 is about four sims and two line training trips (the latter of those being your check). It’s minimal to say the least. The 380 pilots are way safer than you believe as a result of that, the 380 guys were never even mentioned during the consultation period unlike Gatwick and the Jumbo.

On the other hand if you’re genuinely saying you’d prefer the bottom of the 777 list to an equivalent 380 seniority well words fail me. You’ve either not seen what junior tanker life is like (way better than any other fleet imho) or must not like time off or sleep.

Just have a play with iBid selecting P2 for 380 and 777 go to the bottom of the list and have a gander. Deselect the 777 FOs and watch all the gaps start appearing and then come back to me.

*(To come to think of it I tell a lie there were a couple gone from the 380 and the jumbo too I would have thought but done on pure seniority, not fleet)

Last edited by Plastic787; 26th Jan 2024 at 19:52.