PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing at X-Roads?
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2024, 14:35
remi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by viewfromtheramp
100% agree with the statement on the B777. I used to work with this aircraft on the ground and in 6.5 years of operation on a daily flight to our Station we did not have a single aircraft related AOG. Remarkable. Also agree that Boeing risk letting COMAC in. The future duopoly maybe Airbus and Comac on the commercial side. Another 737 Max crash (regardless of cause) will seal it's fate forever. Had the DC10 operated in today's social media environment it too would have failed in all likelihood.
The US government will have nothing to do with turbine engine technology transfer to PRC. It's bad enough that Russia figured out how to build pretty good jet engines. Fortunately the tribal knowledge needed for turbine engine manufacture exists in people and tooling, not on paper. Should PRC somehow manage to create a high quality clone of an American (or European) engine anyway through IP theft and exhaustive effort, I suspect the US would sanction any buyers.

As far as putting Western engines on Chinese fuselages goes, that will continue to be just fine.

I'm confident someone in America can design world beating airliners. Boeing can't anymore though. Will the US exit the airliner business? If Boeing management has its way, yes, it will.