PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737 Flap Asymmetry questions
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2024, 19:36
oicur12.again

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Vessbot
I had a thought, that might resolve the discrepancy. I looked in my (also company-modified) QRH, and maybe someone with access to a pure Boeing one can also follow me through this.

Which exact checklist are you looking at? Mine has separates ones for:
"Trailing Edge Flap Asymmetry," and "Trailing Edge Flap Disagree"

Do you have these, or are they combined into one?

My "Asymmetry" checklist (like yours) has the first step to set the lever to the nearest equal/less detent than what's indicated, and (like everyone else on the thread) has no statement about restoring function... which also matches the system description of asymmetry protection permanently disabling TE flap movement.

However, the "Disagree" checklist does have the possibility of restoring function. First it also directs you to set the lever to a lower detent, then "Choose one" with the first choice being "Flaps move as commanded." And this matches the system behavior of the Flap Load Relief Lockout function, which stops TE flap movement if selected at too fast of an airspeed, but then (unlike asymmetry protection) movement is restored by going to a lesser detent than current displayed position.

I see the possibility of these checklists being mixed together and creating confusion (either by the resulting checklist being simply wrong, or being right but creating easy error from too many "choose one" decisions being followed wrong), or... a language barrier and/or false memory, where you should have done the Asymmetry checklist but are remembering the Disagree checklist... which both words sound very similar, but are different. In Asymmetry, the flaps are different from each other (and movement can not be restored) while in Disagree, the flaps are the same as each other, but disagree with the detent (and motion can be restored).
Vessbot,

Thanks for the reply and sorry for my late one.

Our QRH is the same as yours in that there are different checklists for Asymmetry and Disagree.

However, they both refer to the possibility of resolving the situation by moving the flap handle.

I posed the question to our check airman and he was unsure however he did mention that this step had been added only recently, just prior to me joining the fleet two years ago.

Interestingly the failure we had in the sim was an asymmetry at the first flap retraction that produced a roll to the right during a right turn on the departure. Very cunning as it masked the asymmetric condition.