PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heathrow-3
Thread: Heathrow-3
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2024, 22:52
azz767

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveReidUK
Heathrow used to have a good video on their website (may still be there) about the synergy that hubs generate. The growth of ULH hub bypass routes, where economic, doesn't seem to be making much of a dent in the hub model.
Mainly I would say due to perceived (and that being the operative word) quality of service. People think BA/VS compared to, for example AI will give better quality service so are willing to transfer at a euro hub and have two flights instead of one ULH flight because overall the experience will be better. Whether that is an outdated view is another matter but I still think for whatever reason Western European airlines hold a certain prestige over airlines from the subcontinent. Of course the ME3 and TK have massively eaten into this but even so a direct comparison between the likes of BA/VS/KL/LH etc compared to AI and Chinese airlines and the like would still show a favourability or prestige for the European carriers, justified or not. Having said all of the above, given the astronomic rise of the ME3, TK and even SQ, I think legacy European carriers have a big battle on their hands to maintain their ‘prestige’ which I would say within their own respective countries has already been diminished somewhat because of the carriers mentioned above.