PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cataract Lens Selection?
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2024, 20:13
CFD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had cataract surgery about 18 months ago. The lens used were Johnson and Johnson eyehance. Prior to surgery eyes were deteriorating rapidly and over the course of 6 months I had about 3 different glasses made up but none could deal with the problems of focusing on intermediate and far distance.
You are right about the multi focal IOL,s..... after investigation I found these lenses are classified as monofocal IOL (while classed as monofocal manufacturer has done some magic with them and they act more like a multifocal) and after some arguments with CASA they were accepted as such (they were new to Australia and I found a surgeon that had previously used them on a Qantas pilot so that obviously strengthened my case) and 1 month after the second eye had been done I had my class 1 medical back. On doing my eyetests with the CASA DAME - he was pretty amazed at my results and said he wanted these lenses for himself.
Eye test results by surgeon post surgery after 3 weeks -
Vision RE (unaided) 6/6
Vision LE (unaided) 6/6;
Vision Both eyes open 6/5 (unaided)
Near vison both eyes N5 (unaided)
So, I am very pleased with them.
Far distance - great. Intermediate great. And for the first time in 10 years I don't need to wear glasses for reading in bright light anyway.... i do chose to still wear reading glasses when on computer.
Obviously risks as always with surgery - i believe these lenses also had reduced risk of halo at night, certainly I have had no issue.It would probably be sensible to contact your authorities to make sure acceptable for pilot certification.
As you are in Canada find attached
Johnson & Johnson Vision Launches TECNIS Synergy and TECNIS Eyhance Intraocular Lenses (IOLs) for the Treatment of Cataracts in Canada (jjvision.com)